Monday, August 27, 2012

KDrama Review 8 [Personal Taste]


This might be my last review for a while since i'm starting school again, however the show i'm about to review is one that I believe will hold you over until I can write a new one. So here's my review of Personal Taste.



BE WARNED THIS POST WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

SYNOPSIS: Jeon Jin Ho is a man who loves cleanliness, organization, and order. Though he seldom shows his own emotions he has a talent for figuring out the feelings of women. So when Park Kae In decides to rent out a room in her house after her ex-friend In Hee moves out after betraying her by almost marring her now ex-boyfriend Chang Ryul. Kae In comes to a misunderstandings and believes that Jin Ho is gay. Therefore she has no problem renting him a room in her house since he would be no threat to her. The two soon come find out more about each other and end up forming feelings for each other.



MAIN CHARACTERS:


Son Ye Jin as Park Kae In [She is the daughter of a famous architect who often finds herself taken advantage of because of her naive and forgiving nature. She designs furniture just like her mother once did, however she has had little success.]


Lee Min Ho as Jeon Jin Ho [He is an architect whose whole life has been dedicated to becoming a successful architect who can restore his family name.]


Kim Ji Suk as Han Chang Ryul [He is the son of a highly reguarded architect who often beats Jin Ho in design compations by underhanded means. He was dating Kae In out of pitty and ended dumping her only to try and marry In Hee.]


Wang Ji Hye as Kim In Hee [After her parents died she moved in with Kae In and lived with her for ten years. She has always hated that Kae In has always had everything handed to her so she set out to seal every boyfriend Kae In has ever had.]

SUPPORTING CHARACTERS:

Ryu Seung Ryong as Choi Do Bin [The director of the Art museum he is a man that often keeps to his self.]

Jo Eun Ji as Lee Young Sun [Kae In's best friend, she is a women who hates to see her friend taken advantage of. She is often the voice of reason and wisdom for Kae In.]

Jung Sung Hwa as No Sang Joon [Jin Ho's right hand man at his design firm and fake lover.]

Choi Eun Seo as Na Hye Mi [She is very close with Jin Ho's family and in love with him even though he clearly has no romantic feelings for her.]

Im Seul Ong as Kim Tae Hoon [An office worker at Jin Ho's firm he's in love with Hye Mi and often causes problems for Jin Ho.]

Ahn Suk Hwan as Han Yoon Sub [Chang Ryul's father.]


ACTING: The acting was ok, at first I found Kae In so bland that her character left really no impression whatsoever which is a first for me. She did improve over time though and her acting near the end was great. I swear Lee Min Ho is starting to become one of my favorite male actors. Jin Ho's character was so well portrayed his lack of concern of what others think of him and the way he slowly show his feelings for Kae In was so well done. Chang Ryul was an impressive character to me, because you go from hating him to really pitting him. In Hee I felt was always a borderline villain though everything she did was evil it was never loath and hate her pass the point of return evil. My favorite actor in this whole show was Jung Sung Hwa who played Sang Joon. He was so funny yet caring, and his fake gay act was hilarious. I also enjoyed Young Sun her character was a welcome presences. One last shout out must go to Ryu Seung Ryong, he made director Choi's character interesting and complex it was amazing to see him act shy and unsure. Honestly the cast was pretty well rounded probably one of my favorite casts in a drama or at least one of my top five favorite casts.

PLOT OVERVIEW: As much as I love this show I have to admit that the plot was a bit of a mess. I was very confused as to why Hye Mi would be allowed to live with Jin Ho and his mother. From what I understand is that she left her family and friends to be with him and so it seems like she forced her way into their home. Maybe I just had bad subtitle translations but that's what I understood from the show. The whole story of what happened to Jin Ho's father I felt was also not very well explained, the story made it feel like Yoon Sub was personally responsible for killing him, as in with his own hands, however that turned out not to be the cause. Which brings me to why he had that scar on his face they never explain it. Also though I was really impressed with Kim Ji Suk's English speaking skills I felt like Julien Kang's cameo was unnecessary. Though I complain about it I still find the plot to be something new and fresh. The one thing I will say, and it's not really fair for me to complain about this because almost all k-dramas have it, and that is too much drama. I feel like often in shows I am just waiting for  that point in the show where everything goes terribly wrong or the main characters break up. Of course they are called Drama's for a reason and I know they do it to make it interesting, however it would be great to find a show that leaves the audience guessing. I began to like the show ten times more after they began to act as a couple. I also liked that the main couple, who live under the same roof actually act on their affections for each other unlike another show *coughFull Housecough*. This show really does have some of the cutest couple scenes ever. 

ENDING: Just like the main plot the ending was a bit of a mess. I felt they never really explained what happened to Jin Ho's father. Also after everything Chang Ryul did to Jin Ho I felt he got off a little to easy and In Hee definitely got off to easy for all the trouble she caused. Another thing that did not add up is how did Kae In survive the accident and her mother die it really makes no sense. As for all the couples, Hye Mi throughout the whole show refused to give up Jin Ho yet suddenly she is show all lovey dovey with Tae Hoon at the end. Also was I the only one who was sort of hoping that Sang Joon and Young Sun would end up together somehow. The break up was odd and their really there was no reason for it or behind it. I felt like the writers handled the final judging of the contest poorly because it was this big build up through out the whole show that everything depends on this result. Yet it was over in like five-seconds, there was no suspense it just seemed to fall flat. However I was happy with how the main couple ended up and I was happy with the very last scenes of the show.


SOUNDTRACK: The soundtrack was not bad it had some good songs but it was nothing amazing and only on occasion helped set the mood for the show.


RATING: Ok so on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst show I have ever seen and 10 being a show I could watch ever day I give it an 8. I so badly want to give this show a 9 or even a 10. However there were to many things left unexplained and some of the things they explained made no sense. I will say however that the acting was great and I really loved the couple and how they interacted with each other. Also the plot was something new and I really did over all like this show.


As always I encourage everyone to form their own opinion about a show or movie, these are simply my   views and reflections of what I felt about this drama.  

No comments:

Post a Comment