Sunday, November 18, 2012

K-Movie Review [2] I Saw The Devil

Hey guys, so I just watched a movie that after I finished watching it I asked myself "What the hell did I just watch?" I'll admit that I mainly decided to watch this movie because Lee Byung Hun was in it and the trailer made it look interesting. But boy was I not prepared for what happened in this movie. I'm not even sure where to begin to review this but i'll give it a try, here's my review of "I Saw The Devil."




BE WARNED THIS POST WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

SYNOPSIS: After secret service agent Soo Hyun's fiance is grotesquely murdered. He sets out to find the murder and inflict the same amount of pain on murder as the murder had on Soo Hyun's fiance. Soo Hyun soon finds himself up against Kyung Chul, a man who finds enjoyment in raping his victims and then cutting them into pieces. Soo Hyun finds Kyung Chul and inflicts numerous injuries to him before stopping short of killing him only to release him and then do the same thing all over again.


MAIN CHARACTERS:


Lee Byung Hun as Soo Hyun [He is a secret service agent who is often away because of work. He feels responsible for not being there to prevent his fiances death and is determined to find the man responsible and make him pay.]


Choi Min Sik as Kyung Chul [He is a serial killer who rapes his victims and then chops up their body parts. He normally targets younger females who are alone at very sparsely populated areas. At first he does not understand who could be after him, however after he discovers that Soo Hyun is the lover of one of his victims he is intent on causing Soo Hyun more pain.]


SUPPORTING CHARACTERS:

Jeon Kuk Hwan as Squad Chief Jang [He is a police chief and father of Soo Hyun's fiance. He is the one who gives Soo Hyun a lead as to who the cops think the murder is.]





ACTING: The acting was great, I really felt like  Kyung Chul was a monster who felt no remorse for killing people. Soo Hyun as character was interesting because he never really made you pity him, but he made you hope that harm would not come to him or that the bad guy would never best him. 

PLOT OVERVIEW: Oh geez where to begin. If I had to sum this movie up in one word it would be "blunt." This movie does not hold back, when a character kills someone, there is no cut away scene you see them kill that person. There is quite a bit of nudity, also scenes involving sexual themes as well.  Oh and blood is definitely there in abundance as well as gore. You will see people getting bet over the head with different objects and stabbed with various things. 
    I suppose you could say there was a plot, however there were also a lot of plot holes. A number of times a character is beat, and while I know the human body can withstand a crazy amount of injuries, there's just no way that character should still be alive after a beating like that. As for the plot holes, the whole movie centers on the the fact that Soo Hyun made Kyung Chul swallow a tracking device that allows him to track his movements and listen to what he says. Now i'm not a tech export but I find it hard to believe he would be able to hear what he said if the deceive what in his stomach. I know, I know, i'm being nit-picky but that really seemed to bother me. One last thing, why did he give him money, that really confused me. 
    Now moving on to that actual plot, overall not bad, it is the basic man seeks revenge for fallen loved one. However this case is unique because he doesn't want to kill him right away, he wants to make him suffer. Also the fact that Kyung Chul seems unfazed by Soo Hyun's attempts to scare him is interesting because most villains beg for their life from the hero, whereas Kyung Chul really doesn't seem to care.  

ENDING: If you are hoping for a happy ending then you really should not watch this show. Besides the fact that Kyung Chul gets another chance to inflict more pain on Soo Hyun by killing more of his loved ones. When Kyung Chul finally gets what he deserves there is no satisfaction to be had since Soo Hyun's life is now completely screwed up.


SOUNDTRACK: Soundtrack was pretty good.


RATING: Ok so on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst movie I have ever seen and 10 being a movie I could watch every day I give it an 6. I'm trying to no give it too low of a score simply because it's not my kind of movie. Now I like action movies, I like horror and suspense movies. But I think this movie was simply too raw for me, too realistic. With a hero who really seems to end up right back where he started not really gaining anything from getting even with his fiances murder. I think that this is what you call a "guy movie." For some reason have a feeling that guys wouldn't mind all the gore, sex, and violence.

Here's the trailer:


As always I encourage everyone to form their own opinion about a show or movie, these are simply my   views and reflections of what I felt about this movie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment